Friday, October 24, 2014

BEGIN


Pictures are for remembering. They're for grabbing a moment in time and immortalizing it on a shiny piece of paper, in a camera roll on an iphone or in a flickr account. Little pieces of stolen time, frozen forever, never changing. Pictures bring us back to a specific moment, when time and space has removed us from the original circumstances, and allow us, for just a second, to be back on that gray ikea couch with that wiggly kitten. 

But our memory of that moment is so limited to what we can see. When I look back on this picture in ten, five, or even one year, I won't remember how I went to the doctor that morning, then worked from home the rest of the day. I won't remember the lunch I ate with Ellie (La Fonda salad) or the TV show we watched (Virgin Territories, not our best moment). Distance will fade the memory to only what is visible. Me, on a cheap couch, trying to look trendier than I am, feeding my need to mother by holding a kitten like a baby. 











No comments:

Post a Comment